Friday, July 6, 2012

The Many Forms of Fitness- Belinda Schultz




Check out the winner of our Facebook photo contest!

Belinda Schultz (top) is shown here with a few of her flexible accomplices doing what they do best every week at the end of their favorite classes held by Jodi (middle.) Belinda won COR's Facebook photo contest earning her a free month membership here at COR along with the opportunity to write our cover story for our newsletter and feature her winning picture along with it! Let's give a shout out to this group of ladies who are always looking to keep the fun in fitness!

     I hate to admit how many years ago my Mom asked me if I'd like to go to a new aerobics class that was starting at our church.  I thought to myself, "Oh, how much fun could this be?"; but, I agreed to go with her.  I enjoyed it and eventually I was hooked!  I taught classes until I went to Physical Therapy school which was too time-demanding for me to go to or teach classes.  At that time I ran and swam laps for fitness.

    Upon finishing PT school and moving to Florida I searched for and found new aerobics classes to attend.  Step Aerobics came to NPR in 1990 & has obviously continued.  It is my favorite cardio work out, especially Jodi's Step class at COR Fitness. There are so many things I like about Step Aerobics.  The music starts and I have to forget about everything else going on in my day in order to participate.  Each person in the class can work at her or his own comfort level.  The higher the intensity.  The better I like it!  Jodi is such a dynamic instructor.  She constantly comes up with new choreography.  It is never boring!


     As a physical therapist I know that strength, flexibility and balance are all equally important for good fitness.  Power Lift class is my choice for strength training.  Again, I love that is choreographed to music.  Yoga promotes all three aspects of fitness, most especially flexibility for me.  I see many patients with musculoskeletal problems. The vast majority of muscle and joint pain is caused by muscle imbalances.  When we have good strength, flexibility and balance our bodies function efficiently.  All three of these classes- Jodi's Step and Power Lift as well as Dana's Yoga for Athletes promote good balance.



     I just can't imagine life without exercise. There are physical, psychological and the social benefits. When my patients ask me if I am tired at the end of my work day of teaching people how to move and exercise, I tell them that when I am done with work I then go to the gym to exercise for myself. I think that motivates a few of them!  I tell people that exercising makes me be nicer to my family because I feel good about myself!  The friendships I've gained through my fitness habits are invaluable to me. I look forward to seeing friends each and every time I go to class!   Sometimes, such as with our "acro-yoga" poses, some of just enjoy having fun challenging ourselves! Exercise is a way of life for my family and for me!

-Belinda Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment