Friday, July 6, 2012

Get Inspired- Go Ahead, Run Like A Girl by Kat Matuszko



Go Ahead, Run Like A Girl.

We thought you would enjoy the following story which was written by Kat Matuszko, PHCC women's cross country team alumni now volunteer coach and Race Director of the PHCC 5k and free family fun run which takes place Oct 21, 2012 to benefit the women's cross country team.

     When I was in the 8th grade, a friend and I happened across a school that had a 400 meter track. I decided to time myself in the 1 mile (1600m). I stepped out onto that track and gave it my all. My time was 6 minutes. I decided I was so close to dipping into the 5's I needed to try it again. I re-ran it ... 6 minutes. The unmet goal of going into the 5's still nags me to this day.

     30 years later, I've decided to do something about it. I've decided to face by biggest opponent, my archenemy, my biggest rival ... myself. It's not easy. Facing yourself. Running against yourself. Racing against yourself. But, it has to be done.


     So, today I put on my racing flats for the first time in three months and drove to Pasco Hernando Community College’s west campus to do the mile. I did my warm up with a million reasons taunting me as to why this was not going to be the day I would break my record. "You’re tired, you ran last night, you didn't get enough sleep, you did a speed work out on Sunday, It’s been 30 years ... how can you possibly expect a record today?" Approaching the starting line the relentless taunting continued. Deciding to ignore them … I take off.

     During the first 400 meters my Garmin watch displays that I am running at a 7:30 pace. Figures ... I keep running. I tell myself, I've got to pick up the pace, at least a little. Crossing over the 800 meter mark at a 7 minute pace was a little encouraging. But, only a little ... With another 800m to go, I can feel my muscles beginning to burn. I force the air in and out of my asthmatic lungs. I must keep pushing. 

     With 400m to go I was too scared to look at my watch. Too focused. Too tired. I crossed the finish in 6:32 seconds at a 6:40 pace. Although I did not meet my 1 mile goal time, I did achieve a PR (personal record) for my fastest lap around PHCC. I was disappointed and encouraged all at the same time. Who knows what the future brings? Right? 

     So, today I challenge you to think of something in your life that you wish you had done. A goal you had but never achieved and go after it. Go ahead and disappoint yourself. It's ok. But, I challenge you to keep going until you reach your goal. Not someone else’s...yours. I'm going to keep on training. I promise to keep you updated.

-Kat Matuszko


No comments:

Post a Comment